Venus was the Roman god of love, beauty and courtesans. She was identified with the Greek goddess Aphrodite. Originally Venus was connected to the fertility of fruits, flowers and vegetables.
Venus was worshipped in a great many forms:
- Venus Genetrix
- Venus The Universal Mother was the divine ancestress of the Roman people, and in particular the Gens Julia which claimed direct descendant from Venus Genetrix and Aeneas. Julius Caesar built a Temple of Venus Genetrix in his new forum.
- Venus Felix
- Favourable Venus was worshipped in the Temple of Roma and Amor in Rome, which was dedicated to Venus Felix and Roma Aeterna.
- Venus Obsequens
- Gracious Venus had a temple near the Circus Maximus at the foot of the Aventine Hill.
- Venus Victrix
- Victorious Venus had a temple as a part of Pompey's Theatre.
- Venus Cloacina
- Venus was identified with the patron goddess of the Cloaca Maxima, that drained the Forum Romanum. There was a small sanctuary to Venus Cloacina in front of the Basilica Aemilia in the forum.
- Venus Erycina
- Venus of Eryx (modern Erice) om Sicily.
Documents related to "Venus Genetrix":
- Aeneas - Roman mythological figure (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Aphrodite (Greek Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Aventine Hill (Rome, Italy)
- Basilica Aemilia - The last of the republican basilicas in the Forum Romanum (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Capitoline Venus (Palazzo Nuovo, Capitoline Museums, Campidoglio, Rome, Italy)
- Circus Maximus (Rome, Italy)
- Forum Romanum - The Roman Forum was the political and religious centre in ancient Rome (Rome, Italy)
- Shrine of Venus Cloacina - A sanctuary for the patron deity of the Cloaca Maxima (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Venus Felix (Pio-Clementine Museum, Vatican Museums, Vatican City State)
linking to "Venus Genetrix":
- Cupid - The god of love, son of Venus and Vulcan (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Julius Caesar - Roman patrician, politician, writer, reformator, general, dictator and god (Romans, Historical Persons)
- Mithras - Persian god of Zoroastrian origin (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Portico of the Dei Consentes - A sanctuary for twelve gods and goddesses (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
This page is linked under the names
"Venus Genetrix", "Venus", "Venus Victrix", "Venus Cloachina", "Venus Felix", "Venus Obsequens" and "Venus Erycina".